Sunday, February 21, 2016

Don't let this photo frighten you. It's a photo of my grandfather. Wait, that's not correct. I'm not quite as old as the oak tree, I'm propped up against. When you reach my age, life becomes a comedy of present, flash backs and hopes for the next event.Yeah, even those with years, look to the future. Five great grandchildren and fourteen grandchildren cause it.

I hope to post some new and some old stories here. It's for you to decide which is life, fiction or fantasy. If I write about Maureen O'Hara Ann Margaret or Veronica Lake, you can be sure it's fantasy. Some of the other tales won't be that easy for my alter ego crowds me out of the written page on occasion. Speaking about Ann, I did write a story about her. I'll post it at the bottom of this note, Enjoy.

A DALLAS-ROMAN HOLIDAY



 

 

 

 

Matthew McAlister opened the door of his record distributing company to

Melody’s whistle,

“You’re looking smart boss, where are you headed today?”

“On a blind date to a cocktail party and dinner with a gorgeous red head.”

“Lucky you, who is she?”

“Top secret,” he said and entered his private office. His desk calendar read

February 14th 1964. Tom Johnson, sales manager of RCA Records, Dallas branch, had

invited him. ’Along with forty others,’ he thought, ‘Not much one on one.’

Ten thirty, Matthew’s private line rang,

“Matt, I‘m on the way to Baylor hospital, Dee‘s water broke, can you pick Ann up

at noon?

Of course, Tom.” He could hardly contain himself. ‘There is a God in heaven.’

“Gate 17 at Love Field. She‘s on a private jet from LA. The limo will pick you in

thirty minutes. Take her to the Adolphus.”

“Don‘t worry Tom, she‘s in good hands.”

“Thank you, you‘re a God send.”.

As the limo approached gate 17, a Lear made a perfect landing and taxied

toward the area. ’I hope my heart can’t be heard over this noise,’ Matthew mused as he

stood waiting. She walked toward him in raving beauty,

“Mr. Johnson?”

“Welcome to Dallas. I’m Matthew McAlister. Tom’s at the hospital, his wife’s in

labor, will I do?”

A radiant smile crossed Ann’s face, “You certainly will.”

The limo approached the entrance to McAlister freeway.

“Any relation?” Ann asked.

“My great grandfather donated the land. Are you hungry?”

“Starving.”

“Edward, detour to White Rock Lake.”

“You taking me on a picnic?”

“ Sort of, Gran has a house there with a small gazebo. Will that do?”.

“Sounds lovely, Matthew.”

The limo pulled through the circular drive and stopped in front of a massive

Victorian nestled on five acres lakeside. Matthew took her arm and walked up the stone

path, and opened the door,

“Gran, I have a visitor.”

An elegant lady, mid seventies, descended the staircase,

“What a pleasant surprise, Matt,”

“Gran, this is Ann….”

“I recognize her, welcome my dear. You are exquisite.”

“Thank you, your home is marvelous.”

“I was born in this house, Ann. Why don’t the two of you sit in the gazebo,

Arthur will fix lunch for you.”

“The view is lovely, the food amazing,” Ann said.

“Can you stay awhile?”

“I would never leave if I didn’t have to.”

I imagine Hollywood is in a different world. How’d the filming go?”

“He was very sweet and attentive. It was kind of magical working with him.”

“I’m jealous,”

“You shouldn’t be, you’re better looking.” She leaned over and kissed him gently.

The couple chatted like old friends and watched the February sun on it’s descent

toward the lake.

“I must be going, are you coming tonight?“

“I was but I can’t now after today.”

She kissed him again.

“I understand, two different worlds.”

“If only……”

“Don’t Matthew, I’ve had a wonderful time with you, please don’t spoil it.”

He gathered her in his arms and held her tightly for a moment. “Okay.”

As the sun turned a golden amber in the cloudless sky, the limo sped toward the

Adolphus.

…………

The next morning, Matthew was greeted at his office. Melody spread the front

page of the Dallas Morning News. Headlines marched across the page,

‘ANN MARGARET TAKES A ROMAN HOLIDAY IN DALLAS,

DISAPPEARS FOR SIX HOURS!’

“You didn’t, did you boss?“

Matthew grinned, “What do you think?”


No comments:

Post a Comment